Wednesday, July 22, 2026

The Wounded Helper

 

The Wounded Helper

On Experience, Vulnerability, and the Responsibility Not to Make the Other Person Carry the Helper’s Story

Some helpers know what they encounter from the inside.

They have themselves been subjected to abuse.

They have known shame, silence, fear, and the slow return to a life that could once again be borne. Later, they have chosen work in which they meet people whose experiences resemble their own.

This can provide a particular kind of understanding.

The helper may recognise the silence before it is explained. She knows that a yes is not always a free yes. She understands why a person may long for closeness and at the same time withdraw. She is not surprised that the body remembers something for which the person cannot find words.

But the same experience that makes the helper receptive can also make her vulnerable.

The other person’s story may open her own.

A face, a sentence, or a reaction may bring her back to something she believed she had left behind. She may become overprotective, angry, impatient, or so deeply affected that she loses sight of the other person.

The wounded helper therefore stands within a double movement.

She may use her experience to meet another person.

But she must take care not to use the other person in order to meet herself.

Experience as Knowledge

There is knowledge acquired through books, education, and professional reflection.

And there is knowledge that has been lived.

A person who has herself known shame may understand something about how difficult it can be to receive praise. Someone who has lived with secrecy may understand that telling is not a single act, but a long process. A person who has feared rejection may recognise the significance of someone returning the next time.

This knowledge may make the helper careful.

She does not press for details.

She is not offended when trust takes time.

She knows that silence does not necessarily mean resistance.

She understands that small actions may matter more than grand words.

Experience may give her a bodily sensitivity to what happens in the encounter.

Not a magical ability to know what the other person feels.

But a particular readiness to notice what is easily overlooked.

“I Know How You Feel”

This sentence can be both comforting and dangerous.

It may say:

You are not alone.

I am not frightened by what you tell me.

There are others who have known something similar.

But it may also close the conversation.

For no one knows entirely how another person feels.

Two people may have been subjected to similar acts and still experience them differently. One became angry. The other became silent. One wants confrontation. The other never wants to see the person again. One found help in telling. The other still needs to keep most of it private.

When the helper says, “I know,” she may unconsciously turn her own experience into the measure.

Then she is no longer listening only to the other person.

She is listening for herself.

Perhaps a better formulation is:

I recognise something in what you describe.

But I know that your experience is yours.

You must help me understand what this is like for you.

The Warmth of Recognition

It may be a great relief to meet a helper who does not regard the experience only from a distance.

The person may sense that the helper understands without everything having to be explained.

She does not react with shock.

She does not ask why the person did not tell earlier.

She does not turn bodily responses into signs of guilt.

She knows the language.

Not only professional language, but also the pauses, detours, and unfinished sentences.

This can create an immediate warmth in the relationship.

At last, someone who understands.

At last, someone whom I do not have to educate about my own pain.

But this very closeness needs boundaries.

Recognition can quickly create a sense of similarity that conceals the differences.

We are not the same person.

Your path cannot be determined by mine.

When the Other Person’s Story Awakens the Helper’s Own

The helper may sit calmly and listen.

Then comes a sentence that strikes her.

Perhaps the person describes a room, a smell, or a particular kind of silence. Suddenly, the helper notices her body tightening. She loses concentration. Becomes dizzy. Angry. Distant.

Images from her own life may begin to appear.

What is happening is understandable.

Helpers are not without histories.

But what matters is what she does with the response.

It must not be placed back onto the person who is telling.

The helper may need to breathe, orient herself, and remind herself:

This is her story.

I am here now.

What I feel is my responsibility.

Later, she may seek supervision, collegial support, or help of her own.

In the moment, as far as possible, she must allow the other person to retain the space.

When Anger Becomes Protection

The wounded helper may become intensely angry with the person who caused harm.

This anger may be morally clear.

Something serious was done.

The child was failed.

Responsibility was shifted onto the person who was without guilt.

For someone who has long doubted whether the event was serious, the helper’s response may be confirming.

It really was wrong.

But the anger may also become too large.

The helper wants to confront the family.

Report the matter.

Expose.

Break contact.

She feels that something must be done immediately.

In some situations, this may be right. But the action must arise from the other person’s needs, rights, and safety, not from the helper’s need to repair her own past.

A person who was once not protected may develop a powerful wish to protect everyone.

But overprotection may also deprive the other person of the right to choose.

The Need to Rescue

Some helpers want more than to help.

They want to rescue.

They want to be the one adult who finally does everything right.

I will never fail you.

I will always be available.

I will understand.

I will make sure this never happens again.

There is something beautiful in this commitment.

But also something dangerous.

No helper can fill every absence.

No single relationship can repair an entire childhood.

When the helper promises more than she can keep, the other person may once again experience an important adult disappearing, becoming exhausted, or withdrawing.

The need to rescue may also make the person dependent on the helper’s presence.

She is given less space to discover her own strength, her own relationships, and her own choices.

Good help supports without making itself indispensable.

When the Helper Needs to Be Needed

Being needed can give meaning.

Especially to someone who once felt worthless or abandoned.

In the helping role, she may become someone who matters.

Someone calls.

Someone trusts her.

Someone says that she is the only one who understands.

This may feel powerful and good.

But if the helper’s self-worth becomes dependent on being needed, she may unconsciously keep the other person bound to need.

She may become uneasy when the person manages better.

Feel rejected when contact decreases.

Experience boundaries as ingratitude.

Then the relationship is no longer only for the person seeking help.

It also carries the helper’s need for value.

This is not a sign of ill will.

It is a sign that the helper must turn an honest gaze towards her own motivation.

Sharing One’s Own Story

Sometimes it may be right for the helper to say something about herself.

A brief sentence may reduce shame:

I too know how difficult it can be to tell.

I have myself experienced that the body may react long afterwards.

This may show that the understanding is not merely theoretical.

But self-disclosure must always be assessed according to what it does for the other person.

Whom does this information help?

Does it make the person freer to speak?

Or does it shift attention towards the helper?

Does it create hope?

Or pressure to follow the same path?

Must the person now take care of the helper’s story?

Good self-disclosure is brief, considered, and without demand.

It opens a space and then withdraws.

When the Other Person Begins to Comfort

A clear warning sign appears when the person seeking help begins to protect the helper.

Perhaps it was not that serious.

You must not become so upset.

I am fine.

We can talk about something else.

The person notices that the helper is deeply affected and enters a familiar role:

I must take care of the adult.

Something old is then repeated.

The child who once adapted to adults’ needs must again regulate the relationship.

The helper may show that she is humanly affected. But she must clearly communicate that the response is her responsibility.

This affects me.

But you do not need to comfort me.

I can take care of what I feel.

Continue only if you yourself wish to.

The Invisible Competition

The wounded helper may also begin to compare.

My story was worse.

Or:

She has received more help than I ever did.

Why can she not move on?

Such thoughts may arise without being spoken.

They may appear as impatience, coldness, or excessive demands.

The helper may think:

I had to manage alone.

She has support and opportunities.

Now she must take responsibility.

But suffering is not a competition.

The fact that the helper survived in one way does not mean that the other person can or should do the same.

Personal strength can become a harsh measure when it has not been worked through.

What once helped the helper may become something she demands of others.

“I Managed It, So You Can Too”

The sentence may be intended as hope.

But it may be experienced as judgement.

If you cannot do it, you lack will.

The helper’s life can never be proof of what the other person ought to manage.

It may be one possible testimony:

A life can change.

But the path, pace, and outcome will differ.

Some people need long-term support.

Some continue to live with significant difficulties.

Some do not wish to turn the experience into a story of growth.

Hope must be offered without becoming a demand.

It may be said like this:

There are possibilities for change.

But you do not have to follow my path.

And you do not have to become what I became for your life to have value.

When Experience Becomes Professional Authority

Lived experience can provide important insight.

But it cannot stand alone.

The wounded helper also needs professional knowledge, reflection, and the capacity to distinguish between herself and the other person.

“I have been through it myself” cannot be used as an answer to every question.

Personal experience gives no automatic right to know what is best.

It is one source of knowledge among several.

It must remain in dialogue with:

the other person’s own understanding,

professional knowledge,

ethical principles,

the law,

collegial assessment,

and attention to the specific situation.

Experience becomes most valuable when it does not make itself all-knowing.

The Danger of Becoming Proof of the Story

The person may also begin to use the helper’s life as a measure.

She managed it.

Why can I not?

She now works helping others.

I can barely get through the day.

The helper’s story may then intensify shame.

Especially if it is told as a tidy journey from violation to strength.

Real lives are rarely so coherent.

The helper may still have difficult nights, vulnerable periods, and responses she does not fully understand.

This does not make her unfit.

But an overly smooth story can create an unrealistic ideal.

Personal experience should therefore be shared without a heroic narrative.

Not:

I am finished with this.

But perhaps:

I have found ways to live with it. That does not mean everything is always easy.

The Wounded Helper Is Not Necessarily the Best Helper

There is a romantic idea that a person who has suffered automatically understands suffering.

But pain does not always make people more empathic.

It may also make them hard.

A person may think:

No one helped me. Why should others receive so much?

I had to remain silent. They must endure the same.

I survived. They should stop complaining.

Unprocessed pain may be passed on as demands.

It is therefore not the wound itself that makes the helper good.

It is the work she has done with it.

The ability to acknowledge her responses.

To tolerate difference.

To seek help when her own story is activated.

To refrain from using the other person as confirmation.

The wound may give depth.

But only when it does not secretly govern the encounter.

One’s Own Story Needs Another Room

The helper needs a place where she herself can be the one who receives.

A room for supervision.

Therapy.

Collegial reflection.

Rest.

There she can say:

This affected me.

I became angry.

I wanted to rescue her.

I recognised my own story.

I felt envious of the help she received.

I dread the next conversation.

Such reactions must be speakable without shame.

Not to excuse actions that harm the other person, but to prevent the reactions from governing unconsciously.

It is not professional to be without feelings.

Professionalism lies in taking responsibility for them.

Supervision as Ethical Protection

Supervision is sometimes understood as support for the helper.

It is.

But it also protects the person receiving help.

In supervision, boundaries can be examined:

Why do I think so much about this person after work?

Why do I want to give her my private telephone number?

Why do I become angry when she returns to her partner?

Why do I feel rejected when she does not follow my advice?

Why do I want to tell more of my own story?

The questions may be uncomfortable.

But they keep the relationship cleaner.

Supervision is not a sign that the helper cannot manage the work.

It is a way of taking the power and vulnerability within the work seriously.

Boundaries as Care

For the wounded helper, boundaries may feel like rejection.

She knows what it is like to call and receive no answer.

She therefore wants to be constantly available.

She gives a little more time.

Answers messages late.

Meets the person outside the agreed framework.

At first, this may feel like great care.

But boundaries protect both the helper and the other person.

A rested helper is more present.

A clear agreement is safer than changing availability.

A relationship that can tolerate distance gives the person greater freedom.

The boundary does not say:

You are too much.

It may say:

I want the help to be stable enough to last.

When the Helper Must Withdraw

Sometimes the helper’s own history becomes so strongly activated that she can no longer provide good help.

She dreads the meetings.

Loses sleep.

Becomes emotionally overwhelmed.

Thinks about the person constantly.

Reacts unusually strongly to the person’s choices.

Then it may be necessary to transfer responsibility to someone else.

This may feel like failure.

I am abandoning her.

But continuing when one can no longer distinguish between one’s own story and the other person’s may be a greater failure.

A responsible withdrawal must be handled with care.

Not abruptly.

Not without explanation.

Not as punishment.

The helper may say:

I can see that you need something that I am not the right person to provide at present. I will therefore make sure that you meet someone else who can continue with you.

Knowing one’s limit is also a professional act.

The Other Person Is Not My Former Self

This may be the most important reminder.

The person before me is not the child I once was.

She must not live out the rescue I never received.

She must not confront the person I did not dare to confront.

She must not forgive because I did.

She must not break contact because I wished someone had done so for me.

She is a person in her own right.

With a different history.

Different relationships.

Different needs.

Different choices.

Recognition must never erase difference.

When Difference Becomes a Resource

It may be painful to discover that the other person reacts differently.

The helper may have found meaning through speaking publicly.

The person wants silence.

The helper broke with the family.

The person still wants contact.

The helper found strength in anger.

The person does not want to be angry.

At first, the difference may feel like distance.

But it can also be an important correction.

It reminds the helper that experience does not create one true path.

She must become curious again.

Not:

Why do you not do what I did?

But:

What does this choice mean to you?

What are you protecting?

What do you hope to preserve?

What are you afraid of losing?

Difference keeps the encounter alive.

The Wounded Helper’s Particular Responsibility

All helpers are responsible for their own responses.

But a person who knows that particular themes touch her own history has a special responsibility to know her vulnerable places.

What makes me overprotective?

When do I begin to press?

Which stories make me distant?

Whom do I become angry with?

When do I feel especially necessary?

What do I still find difficult to hear?

These are not questions to be answered once.

One’s own history changes meaning through life.

An encounter that was unproblematic ten years ago may suddenly affect the helper differently.

Professional self-awareness is therefore not a completed quality.

It is an ongoing practice.

Being Personal Without Making the Encounter Private

A good helper may be personal.

She may show warmth, humour, seriousness, and human feeling.

The relationship need not be cold or anonymous.

But it must not become private in a way that shifts responsibility.

The personal says:

I am a human being here with you.

The private may say:

You must now relate to my needs and my history.

The boundary between them is not always clear.

It therefore requires attention.

The helper must ask:

Does this make the encounter safer and freer for the person?

Or am I tying her more closely to me because I need it?

The Helper’s Shame

Helpers may also feel shame.

Shame at becoming too affected.

At having said something wrong.

At feeling irritation.

At needing supervision.

At discovering that their own history still has power.

This shame may cause the responses to be hidden.

The helper pretends that nothing happened.

Avoids supervision.

Becomes more controlling.

Or withdraws emotionally.

But flawlessness is a dangerous ideal in work with people.

What matters is not that the helper never reacts or misunderstands.

What matters is that she can discover it, take responsibility, and attempt repair.

When Something Must Be Repaired

The helper may have shared too much.

Pressed too hard.

Shown visible disappointment.

Said, “I know exactly how you feel.”

Then she can return to it.

I have been thinking about our conversation.

I believe I placed too much of my own experience into what you told me.

It was not your responsibility to take care of my reaction.

I would like to hear how this was for you.

Such an acknowledgement may feel risky.

The helper may fear losing authority.

But responsible repair can strengthen trust.

The person gains the experience that an important adult can acknowledge a mistake without making her responsible.

Experience Without Confession

The helper does not always need to say that she herself has been subjected to abuse.

The experience may be present in the way she works.

In her care.

In her respect for silence.

In her understanding that progress is not linear.

In her ability to tolerate shame without trying to wash it away with quick words.

The other person does not need to know the helper’s biography in order to benefit from what she has learned.

Sometimes the most mature use of personal experience is precisely that it has been transformed into practice.

It lies in the hands, the voice, and the choices.

Not in a story that must be told.

The Wounded Helper as a Witness to Possibility

When her own experience has been worked through and the boundaries are clear, the helper’s presence may carry a quiet hope.

Not because she presents herself as finished or whole.

But because she shows that a person can continue living without denying what happened.

She works.

Thinks.

Laughs.

Rests.

Sets boundaries.

Seeks help when she needs it.

The wound exists, but it is not her whole identity.

This hope does not need to be spoken.

It may be present in the way she remains.

A person who has herself known darkness may stay without becoming afraid of the other person’s darkness.

A Sentence for the Wounded Helper

Perhaps the helper needs to remind herself:

My experience may help me listen.

But it does not make me an expert on the other person’s life.

I may recognise something without making us the same.

I may be affected without making the other person responsible.

I do not have to rescue in order to have value.

I do not have to tell my story for my understanding to be real.

What I feel needs another room.

Here, I must meet the person sitting before me.

A Sentence for the Person Who Meets a Helper with Personal Experience

And perhaps the person seeking help needs to know:

You do not have to take care of the helper’s story.

You do not have to follow the same path.

You may speak up if the recognition becomes too close.

You may ask why the helper is sharing something personal.

You have the right for the encounter to remain about you.

The fact that the helper understands something from her own life must not make your life less distinct.

When the Wound Becomes Care

The wounded helper is not good because she is wounded.

Nor is she bad because she may still be affected.

What matters is what the wound has become.

Has it become a hidden need for control?

A demand for similarity?

A longing to be indispensable?

Or has it become care?

An ability to wait.

Respect for boundaries.

An understanding that a person may need cocoa before interpretation.

That one may tell without telling everything.

That praise may slide off.

That presence cannot be demanded.

When the wound has been worked through, it may open a particular receptiveness.

The helper knows that the other person does not need a perfect human being.

She needs a responsible one.

From Shared Experience to a Real Encounter

Two people may share experiences without therefore having the same story.

The real encounter begins when recognition does not erase difference.

I know something of this.

But I allow you to tell me what it means to you.

I know that shame may make a person silent.

But I do not assume why you are silent.

I know that the body may remember.

But I do not interpret your body without asking.

I know that there may be a way forward.

But I do not decide what your path should look like.

Then the helper’s experience does not become an answer key.

It becomes a quiet readiness to understand.

The wounded helper cannot give the other person a life without wounds.

But she can help ensure that the wounds are not once again used to deprive the person of freedom, voice, or ownership.

She can meet the other person with knowledge tested in life, but disciplined by ethics.

She can say:

I know something of the darkness.

But this room belongs to you.

I will remain.

And I will not make your story my own.


I will remain.

And I will not make your story my own.




This essay was developed through a new reading of the focus-group discussions and in-depth interviews that formed the foundation of my doctoral dissertation, A Study of Shame (2009). The text is part of the series Conversations About Shame and was written in conversation with OpenAI/ChatGPT.

No comments:

Post a Comment