From Surviving to Participating
On Belonging, Action, and the Path Back to a Shared World
Surviving is a great task.
Sometimes it is the only task.
The person protects herself.
Endures.
Withdraws from what is dangerous.
Learns to read the room.
Learns to remain silent.
Learns to make herself small, invisible, or useful.
Learns to leave the body without being able to go.
Learns to smile when something hurts.
Learns not to need too much.
All of this may have been necessary.
The person who survives is not doing too little.
She is doing what is possible in a situation where there are few choices.
But a life cannot consist only of what was once necessary in order to get through.
At some point, another question may arise:
How am I to participate in the world?
Not merely protect myself from it.
Not merely understand what happened.
Not merely prevent it from happening again.
But take part.
In the conversations that formed the foundation of my doctoral dissertation, A Study of Shame, much concerned pain, shame, the body, silence, and violation. But the material also contained another movement. The participants spoke, listened, responded to one another, and created meaning together. They were not merely people telling of something they had survived.
They participated.
They took their place in a room.
They gave language to their own and others’ experiences.
They were affected by what was said, and they affected others in return.
Perhaps an important distinction lies here:
Surviving is about continuing to exist.
Participating is about being allowed to take part in life as one human being among others.
Survival as Work
From the outside, survival may appear passive.
The person withdrew.
Said little.
Remained in a difficult relationship.
Did what the other person wanted.
Disappeared into herself.
But such responses may contain intense work.
The child pays attention.
Assesses danger.
Tries to prevent the situation from becoming worse.
Protects siblings.
Keeps the family together.
Conceals her reactions.
Monitors the adult’s mood.
Survival requires attention, adaptation, and endurance.
What is later called passivity may have been a highly active form of protection.
This must be recognised.
Otherwise, we risk meeting the adult with the same accusation the child already carries:
Why did you not do more?
But perhaps the child did everything that was available to her.
When Survival Continues After the Danger
Strategies that save a person in one situation may limit her in another.
Remaining silent protects against attention.
Later, the silence makes it difficult to become known.
Watching others protects against danger.
Later, it makes it difficult to notice one’s own wishes.
Expecting nothing protects against disappointment.
Later, it makes it difficult to receive love.
Leaving the body protects against violation.
Later, it makes it difficult to remain present in intimacy.
Survival has an inertia of its own.
The body and relationships continue to follow rules that were once necessary:
Do not reveal yourself.
Do not trust anyone.
Do not become too happy.
Do not say no if the other person may become angry.
Do not become dependent.
Do not need.
These rules may continue long after the situation has changed.
From Protection to Limitation
It is not always easy to know when a strategy has moved from protection to limitation.
Control may still provide safety.
Silence may still be necessary in some relationships.
Distance may still be wise.
The goal cannot therefore be to remove all protection.
That would be another form of carelessness.
The question is rather:
Can I choose the protection?
Or does it choose for me?
Can I remain silent because I want to?
Or because the words stop before I have time to decide?
Can I leave the room?
Or do I disappear inwardly while my body remains?
Can I say yes?
And do I truly have access to a no?
Freedom does not lie in becoming unprotected.
It lies in having more possible responses.
Participation Begins with an I
To participate, a person must be allowed to be an I.
Not merely a body others assess.
Not merely a victim.
Not merely the strong one.
Not merely the difficult one.
Not merely the person who needs help.
An I can say:
This is what I experienced.
This is what I want.
This is what I do not want.
I do not know this yet.
This is my language.
This is my boundary.
Such an I is not isolated.
It comes into being in encounters with others.
But neither does it disappear into the relationship.
The person who participates is both connected to others and different from them.
When “I” Feels Selfish
For people who have adapted for a long time, the word I may awaken shame.
I want.
I need.
I cannot manage this.
I think differently.
From within, this may sound self-centred.
Perhaps the person learned that other people’s needs always came first.
That the family’s peace was more important than her truth.
That the adult’s wish mattered more than the child’s boundary.
Self-assertion may then feel like a moral violation.
But an I is not the same as selfishness.
Selfishness turns other people into means for one’s own needs.
A clear I makes mutuality possible.
Only when I can say what I want and do not want can a genuine encounter occur.
Otherwise, two people do not meet.
One simply adapts to the other.
Participating Is More Than Being Present
A person may be physically present without participating.
Sitting in the room.
Nodding in the right places.
Smiling.
Doing what is expected.
But not placing anything of herself into the situation.
Participation involves a certain risk.
I reveal something.
Say something that may be contradicted.
Ask for something that may be refused.
Take initiative.
Allow the other person to notice that I am here.
For someone who has experienced visibility leading to danger, this may be difficult.
The safest thing is to follow.
Let others decide.
Not have wishes that are too clear.
But a life in which a person never leaves a trace in the room may become a life lived on the outside.
From Audience to Participant
Shame can turn the world into a stage.
The others watch.
Judge.
Know how one should behave.
The person stands outside and watches herself.
Am I saying the right thing?
Does my body look normal?
Can they tell that I am different?
Participation breaks this position.
Not by removing all self-consciousness, but by directing attention outwards.
What is happening here?
What do I think about it?
What can I contribute?
Who is sitting beside me?
The world becomes less of an audience and more of a place for action.
The First Small Action
Participation does not necessarily begin with major choices.
It may begin with something small.
Saying which chair one wants to sit in.
Choosing what one wants to drink.
Asking for the door to remain open.
Saying that the pace is too fast.
Suggesting another topic.
Correcting a misunderstanding.
Sending a message.
Turning up.
Leaving before becoming exhausted.
Such actions may seem trivial.
But they say:
I am helping to shape the situation.
Things do not merely happen to me.
I can influence something.
Being Taken Seriously
Participation requires others to respond to what the person says and does.
If I say no and the other continues, I was visible without having an effect.
If I tell and no one responds, the words remain suspended in emptiness.
If I ask for help and am rejected, the old experience that needs do not matter is confirmed.
Being heard is therefore more than sound being registered.
It means that the voice has consequences.
The helper stops.
The partner adjusts.
The group makes room.
The agreement changes.
Participation becomes real when the world responds.
The Other Person as a Fellow Participant
A person cannot participate alone.
Participation arises between people.
The other person must be more than a spectator.
She must be a fellow participant who allows herself to be affected.
This does not mean that she must always agree.
But she must meet what is said as something that matters.
I hear you.
I understand it differently.
Let us examine it.
I cannot do everything you ask, but I will explain why.
In this way, a world emerges in which difference does not automatically lead to rupture.
For someone who has learned that disagreement is dangerous, this may be a new experience.
Conflict as a Sign of Participation
Many people associate a good relationship with the absence of conflict.
People who have lived with unpredictability may become especially concerned with preserving calm.
They notice others’ displeasure early.
Withdraw their wishes.
Apologise.
Give in.
But a relationship without visible conflict may also be a relationship in which one person does not participate fully.
When both people have wishes, they will sometimes collide.
Participation therefore also includes the right to disagree.
I do not agree.
This does not work for me.
I want something else.
Conflict becomes less dangerous when it does not threaten belonging itself.
We can disagree and still remain here.
The Importance of Repair
No one participates without misunderstanding.
We say something wrong.
Become too sharp.
Withdraw.
Forget.
Cross a boundary.
What matters is not that the relationship is never damaged.
It is that something can be repaired.
I can see that this hurt you.
I misunderstood you.
I should have stopped.
Can we try again?
For people who have experienced adults never taking responsibility, repair may be decisive.
It shows that the relationship does not require perfection.
That power can be corrected.
That a rupture does not always mean the end.
When the Person Disagrees with the Helper
Helping relationships may appear collaborative, but the helper has power.
She has language, knowledge, records, and authority to define.
The person seeking help may therefore believe that she must agree in order to receive support.
She nods at interpretations she does not recognise.
Accepts goals she did not choose.
Says that the conversation was helpful.
Participation requires the possibility of saying:
I do not understand it that way.
This question does not help me.
I want to work with something else.
I experienced what you said as pressure.
A good helper can tolerate this.
Not merely as criticism.
But as a sign that the person is emerging more clearly.
From Client to Citizen
The person seeking help may easily be reduced to a client, patient, or service user.
Someone who receives interventions.
Someone who is assessed.
Someone who has problems.
But the person is also a citizen.
Neighbour.
Worker.
Parent.
Friend.
Participant in a local community.
Someone who can have views about how services should be designed.
Someone who can contribute experience and knowledge.
When a person is met only as a recipient, life becomes narrow.
Participation is also about reclaiming one’s place in the shared world.
The Meaning of Work
Work can be more than income.
It may provide rhythm.
Belonging.
Tasks that are not about the history.
An opportunity to be the person who knows something.
The person colleagues ask.
The one who solves a problem.
But work can also become a hiding place.
The person works without stopping in order not to feel.
Makes herself indispensable.
Measures her value through productivity.
Participation in work becomes freer when the person does not work merely to prove that she deserves to exist.
Work can be part of life.
Not the entire justification for it.
Communities That Do Not Require Confession
Not every community needs to be built around what happened.
A person may participate in a gardening group.
A choir.
A workplace.
A religious community.
Political work.
A walking group.
A neighbourhood.
No one there needs to know the whole story.
The person may be someone who enjoys growing tomatoes, singing, walking in the woods, or discussing social issues.
This is not denial.
It is an expansion of identity.
The history exists.
But it is not allowed to decide on its own where the person belongs.
When Community Becomes Dangerous
Communities are not automatically good.
Groups may demand obedience.
Families may protect perpetrators.
Workplaces may humiliate.
Religious communities may make questions sinful.
Helping services may override people.
Participation therefore does not mean adapting to every community.
It also involves asking:
Is there room for difference here?
Can I say no?
Can I leave?
Is confidentiality respected?
Must I make myself smaller in order to belong?
A community that demands self-erasure does not offer genuine belonging.
The Right to Leave
Participating does not always mean staying.
Sometimes the most important action is leaving.
A room.
A relationship.
A group.
A workplace.
An environment in which boundaries are repeatedly violated.
Perhaps the child could not leave.
The adult may have greater possibilities.
Leaving is not necessarily flight.
It may be self-determination.
The difference lies in whether the person experiences herself as the one choosing the action.
I am not leaving because I have no value.
I am leaving because this situation leaves no room for my dignity.
When Help Becomes a Waiting Room
A person may remain within helping services for a long time.
That may be necessary.
But help may also become a place where life is put on hold.
When I am finished with therapy, I will begin to live.
When the shame is gone, I can have a close relationship.
When my body feels safe, I can participate.
But perhaps some of life must begin while the work is still continuing.
Not as pressure for rapid improvement.
But as an acknowledgement that life does not come after healing.
Healing also happens within life.
Through relationships, work, interests, conflicts, action, and belonging.
Participating Before Feeling Ready
People often wait for safety.
When I am no longer afraid, I will join the group.
When I feel valuable, I will apply for the job.
When I know what I want, I will say it.
But the feeling does not always come first.
Sometimes it arises through action.
I turn up while I am still afraid.
Say one sentence.
Remain for ten minutes.
Go home.
The next time, the body knows a little more.
This is not forcing oneself through everything.
It is giving experience an opportunity to contradict fear in small, manageable doses.
The Slow Expansion
A life rarely expands through one great leap.
It happens through small changes.
One more room.
One more relationship.
An activity that lasts a little longer.
A boundary that becomes clearer.
A morning when worry does not decide everything.
A good day that is allowed to remain good.
A conversation in which the person both listens and says something of her own.
Over time, the world may grow larger.
Not because danger disappears completely.
But because more places are no longer governed by it.
When Shame Loses Its Exclusive Right to Interpret
Shame interprets everything.
They laughed because I am stupid.
She replied late because she does not want me.
I made a mistake because I am a failure.
I became tired because I am weak.
Participation creates more possible interpretations.
Perhaps they laughed at something else.
Perhaps she was busy.
Perhaps the mistake was ordinary.
Perhaps the body needs rest.
When the person participates, she gains access to others’ responses and to new experiences.
Shame’s story is no longer the only source of knowledge about the world.
Giving Something Back
People who have received help may develop a strong wish to help others.
This can be meaningful.
Experience becomes knowledge.
Vulnerability becomes care.
But a person must be allowed to participate without making suffering useful.
She owes no one the role of helper.
She does not need to transform pain into a contribution to society in order to justify her life.
Giving something back may also be entirely ordinary.
Being a good neighbour.
Preparing food.
Looking after a grandchild.
Participating in a meeting.
Listening to a friend.
Creating something.
Laughing with someone.
Participation does not need to be heroic.
The Wounded Helper as Participant
A person who chooses to help others must also be allowed to be more than a helper.
She needs places where she has no responsibility.
Where she is not expected to understand.
Where others ask how she is.
Where she may be tired, disagree, or remain silent.
Otherwise, the helper role may become another survival strategy.
I have value as long as I am needed.
Genuine participation means being able both to give and receive.
To carry and to be carried.
Being Able to Receive
For some people, helping is easier than receiving help.
The one who gives has control.
The one who receives becomes dependent.
May owe something.
May be disappointed.
But no one participates fully if she is only the one who contributes.
Mutuality also requires the ability to receive.
A cup.
An invitation.
A kind act.
Advice.
A hand.
Without immediately repaying it.
Receiving is not passivity.
It is allowing the other person to matter.
From Control to Cooperation
Survival often seeks control.
Participation requires cooperation.
Control asks:
How can I ensure that no one hurts me?
Cooperation asks:
How can we create a situation in which both people may take part?
Control tries to eliminate uncertainty.
Cooperation tolerates that the other person has a will I do not own.
This makes participation more vulnerable.
But also more alive.
A person who always has complete control may never encounter the other as truly other.
The Importance of Action
A person does not change through insight alone.
She also changes through action.
By doing something that leaves a new trace.
Speaking up.
Turning up.
Voting.
Writing.
Creating.
Organising.
Asking for change.
Taking responsibility for something without taking responsibility for everything.
Action shows the person that she can begin something.
The past explains much.
But it does not determine absolutely everything that may happen next.
Beginning Something New
A new action does not erase the history.
But it introduces something that cannot be reduced to it.
The person applies for a job.
Enters a relationship.
Ends another.
Moves.
Begins to paint.
Joins a group.
Takes the floor.
These actions are not proof of complete healing.
They are beginnings.
And a beginning is always more than a continuation.
It brings something new into the world.
When the New Also Awakens Sorrow
Participating more may make clearer what the person missed.
The first time she experiences a safe community, she may grieve all the years spent alone.
The first time someone respects her opinion, she may feel the pain of never having been asked.
The first time she dares to create something, she may think about all she could have done earlier.
This does not mean that participation is wrong.
It means that the new casts light upon the loss.
Joy and sorrow may come together.
Age and the Lost Life
Some people begin late in life to understand what shame has cost them.
Then the question may become:
Is it too late?
The years do not return.
Relationships have been lost.
Opportunities were not taken.
The body has grown older.
This sorrow must not be explained away.
Something was lost.
But participation is not reserved for the young or for those who receive a new beginning early.
As long as a person lives, there is a present in which she may step forward.
Not as though everything begins again.
But as the person she has become.
With the history, age, losses, and knowledge.
Participating Without Making Up for Everything
A person who feels that much of life has been lost may become impatient.
Now I must live fully.
Travel.
Love.
Create.
Manage everything.
But this too may become pressure.
Life does not need to be recovered as a debt.
Participation may be slow.
A meal.
A text.
A conversation.
A walk.
A meeting where one speaks one true sentence.
What happens now does not need to compensate for everything that did not happen before.
It may have its own value.
The Shared World
Shame isolates.
It says:
You are different.
You do not belong.
Your history makes you foreign.
But the world consists of people with different histories, wounds, bodily experiences, and ways of living.
Participation does not mean becoming like everyone else.
It means being allowed to be different within something shared.
A language.
A place.
An activity.
A responsibility.
A conversation.
We do not need to share everything in order to share a world.
When Experience Becomes Public Knowledge
People who have been subjected to abuse may choose to use their experience in research, education, politics, or service development.
The private may then acquire public significance.
But this must happen on the person’s terms.
She should not have to expose herself in order to be heard.
Knowledge from experience may be communicated without the whole story being told.
One may say:
This is what often happens in encounters with services.
This is why boundaries must be respected.
This is what helps.
In this way, experience may contribute to changing the world without the person once again being made available to everyone’s gaze.
The Focus Group as Participation
In the focus groups, the participants were not merely sources of knowledge for the researcher.
They listened to one another.
Challenged formulations.
Added nuances.
Recognised.
Protested.
Laughed.
Became silent.
Together, they developed understandings that none of them would necessarily have formulated alone.
This matters.
The person was not merely the object of research.
She participated in the creation of meaning.
Knowledge arose between people.
In this way, the conversation itself becomes an image of the transition from being interpreted to participating in interpretation.
When Language Becomes One’s Own
People who seek help encounter many words.
Trauma.
Shame.
Disconnection.
Coping.
Boundaries.
Survival.
The words may open understanding.
But they may also become new labels.
Participation includes the right to use, alter, or reject the language.
This word fits.
This one does not.
I would rather say it this way.
When the person finds her own language, she is not merely described.
She describes.
The Right Not to Represent Everyone
A person who speaks publicly may be treated as representative of an entire group.
This is what survivors are like.
This is how women respond.
This is how men live with shame.
But no single story can carry everyone.
The person has the right to say:
This is my experience.
Others may experience it differently.
Participation does not mean having to speak for everyone who resembles us.
It is enough to speak from one’s own place.
When the Voice Changes the Room
A voice can do more than express experience.
It can change the situation.
A participant says:
It does not help when you ask questions in that way.
A service user says:
I need the door to remain open.
A student says:
Something is missing from this teaching.
A citizen says:
The service must be designed differently.
Experience then becomes action.
It requires a response.
In this way, a person who was once not heard may help change the conditions for others.
The Political Dimension of Shame
Shame is experienced privately.
I am wrong.
I do not fit.
But shame is also created in social conditions.
In families that remain silent.
Institutions that do not believe.
Cultures that place responsibility upon the person who was harmed.
Services that demand a full account before providing help.
Participation may therefore have a political dimension.
People come together.
Name patterns.
Demand change.
What was first experienced as a personal fault becomes visible as something for which the world also bears responsibility.
From “What Is Wrong with Me?” to “What Happened Between Us?”
Survival may become organised around self-examination.
What is wrong with me?
Why do I react this way?
Why can I not be normal?
Participation opens another question:
What happened between people?
Who had power?
Who did not listen?
What could the community have done differently?
This does not move all responsibility away from the person.
The adult remains responsible for her own actions.
But self-understanding becomes less isolated.
The person sees that her responses arose within a world of relationships.
And that change also requires relationships.
The Personal and the Shared
No one else can live my life for me.
No one can feel exactly what I feel.
But neither do I live alone.
My language comes from others.
Safety is created with others.
My ability to act depends upon the space I am given.
Participation holds both truths together:
This is my life.
And my life unfolds within a shared world.
When Belonging No Longer Requires Silence
In earlier communities, belonging may have had a price.
You may belong if you do not tell.
If you do not hold the adults responsible.
If you do not set boundaries too clearly.
If you remain the person we know.
A new community must offer something else.
You may belong when you speak.
When you disagree.
When you have a history.
When you do not want to tell all of it.
When you change.
This is belonging without self-erasure.
Belonging Without Being Owned
It is possible to belong and still remain free.
The relationship does not say:
You are mine.
The group does not say:
You must become like us.
The helper does not say:
Your progress belongs to my method.
The community allows movement.
The person may move closer.
Withdraw a little.
Change her mind.
Leave.
Return.
Belonging can tolerate that the person is not always available.
Participation as Everyday Life
It is easy to make participation into something grand.
Political activism.
Public speaking.
Visible work.
But most of life happens in small things.
Setting the table.
Replying to a message.
Collecting a child.
Buying food.
Taking part in a conversation without disappearing.
Choosing the music.
Saying that one is tired.
Laughing without apologising.
This is no less genuine participation.
It is life as it is actually lived.
A Sentence for the Person Who Is Still Protecting Herself
Perhaps the person who has lived in survival for a long time needs to hear:
What you did helped you get through.
You do not need to feel ashamed of your strategies.
But you are allowed to ask whether they are still necessary everywhere.
You may keep the protection where you need it.
And try something else where it is possible.
You do not need to open your whole life at once.
It is enough to emerge a little more clearly in one room.
A Sentence for the Person Who Wants to Participate
Perhaps the person also needs to hear:
You do not need to be finished with the story before entering life.
You may participate while still afraid.
You may say something even if your voice trembles.
You may belong without telling everything.
You may receive without giving yourself away in repayment.
You may leave a room without leaving yourself.
You may begin small.
From One Adult to Several People
Many stories contain the one person who made a difference.
A helper.
A friend.
A teacher.
A partner.
A person who saw and did not turn away.
This may be decisive.
But a life cannot rest upon one relationship alone.
Over time, the person needs several connections.
Not necessarily many.
But different ones.
Someone to work with.
Someone with whom to rest.
Someone to laugh with.
Someone who knows the history.
Someone who does not.
In this way, the world becomes less fragile.
Belonging is distributed.
When Life Is No Longer Organised Around the Violation
For a long time, the violation may remain at the centre.
Choices are made in relation to it.
What do I avoid?
What triggers reactions?
Whom can I trust?
How do I protect myself?
Gradually, other centres may emerge.
Work.
Love.
A place.
A grandchild.
An interest.
A project.
The history does not disappear.
But life gains more centres of gravity.
The person no longer lives only in the aftermath.
She also lives in expectation, creation, and encounter.
From Asking “Am I Safe?” to “What Do I Want?”
The question of safety is necessary.
But if it is the only question, life becomes limited.
Gradually, another question may arise:
What do I want?
Not only:
What can I tolerate?
What should I avoid?
What is least dangerous?
But:
What awakens interest?
How do I want to use my time?
Whom do I want to be close to?
What do I want to contribute?
This does not mean that safety has been fully established.
It means that the person begins to orient herself towards more than protection.
Risking Significance
Participation means allowing something to matter.
A person.
Work.
A group.
A project.
This also creates risk.
I may be disappointed.
Misunderstood.
Rejected.
I may lose.
A person who survives by not becoming too attached may experience this as dangerous.
But a life without any risk of loss is also a life in which little is allowed to matter.
Participation is therefore not safety.
It is the courage to let something matter within boundaries that protect dignity.
The Imperfect Participant
No one participates fully all the time.
We withdraw.
Become self-absorbed.
Lose courage.
Say too little.
Say too much.
Remain at home.
Participation must not become a new ideal that one feels ashamed of failing to fulfil.
A person has the right to pauses.
Privacy.
Silence.
Standing outside sometimes.
The difference is that withdrawal does not need to become the whole life.
The person may return.
Returning to the World
After a difficult period, the first encounter may feel immense.
Going to the shop.
Visiting a friend.
Meeting the group.
Opening the post.
Answering the telephone.
These may be acts of considerable courage.
Not because the world is necessarily dramatic.
But because the person must leave protective isolation a little.
Returning does not mean pretending nothing happened.
It means entering the world with what happened.
When Experience Has a Place, but Not the Whole Place
The history needs somewhere to exist.
It should not be repressed.
It should be possible to tell, understand, and carry it.
But it does not need to occupy every room.
There may be conversations where it is central.
And dinners where it is not mentioned.
Days for sorrow.
And days for work, play, nature, or silence.
This is not fragmentation.
It is a larger life.
From Silence to Voice, from Voice to Conversation
At first, the task may be to find a voice.
This happened.
I was violated.
I was not responsible.
But a voice does not become free merely by speaking alone.
It needs a conversation.
Someone responds.
Someone asks a question.
Someone disagrees.
Someone recognises.
In this way, the person moves from carrying an isolated truth to participating in a shared world of meaning.
From Being Helped to Having Influence
Help is not complete when the person functions better within a world that remains unchanged.
She may also influence the help.
What should the service do differently?
Which questions cause harm?
What creates safety?
How should the room be organised?
How can others be met better?
Experience then becomes more than something that is treated.
It becomes knowledge that influences practice.
Participation and Dignity
Dignity is not merely a quality a person possesses inwardly.
It appears in how the person is allowed to act in the world.
May she speak?
Choose?
Be contradicted without humiliation?
Leave?
Return?
Influence what concerns her?
Participation is therefore a practical form of dignity.
Not because a person gains value by contributing.
But because she already has value and should therefore be allowed to take part.
What Cannot Be Taken Back
Some things cannot be fully repaired.
Childhood does not return.
Time does not undo the violation.
Some losses remain.
This must be said without false optimism.
Something was lost.
But what cannot be reclaimed does not need to take everything that comes afterwards.
A person may carry an irreparable loss and still begin something.
This is not victory over history.
It is life beside it.
When Survival Is Allowed to Rest
Survival strategies need not be condemned.
Perhaps they should be thanked.
You kept me alive.
You made it possible for me to reach this point.
But they do not need to remain on guard all the time.
Some may be allowed to rest.
The silence.
The control.
The disconnection.
The constant vigilance.
Not forever.
Not everywhere.
But in some rooms.
With some people.
In some moments.
Participating in One’s Own Life
Perhaps this is the deepest movement.
From being a spectator to one’s own body.
A spectator to other people’s wishes.
A spectator to a life happening from outside.
To participating in one’s own life.
Feeling:
I am here.
This is my choice.
This boundary is mine.
I am allowed to receive this joy.
I will carry this sorrow when it comes.
This is the person I want to meet.
This is what I want to create.
Everything may not feel fully integrated.
But the person is more present in what is happening.
From Surviving to Participating
Surviving was not a failed life.
It was the work that made further life possible.
But there may come a time when a person needs more than protection.
She needs the world.
A place to meet others.
A language that receives a response.
Actions that have consequences.
Relationships in which a no is heard.
Communities where the history is known, but not everything.
Days when joy is allowed to remain joy.
Sorrow when sorrow actually comes.
Work, rest, creation, and belonging.
The transition does not happen once and for all.
A person may participate one day and merely survive the next.
She may be open in one room and protected in another.
Free in some things and still bound in others.
This does not make the movement less real.
From surviving to participating is not a straight line.
It is a continual return.
To the body.
The voice.
The other person.
The shared world.
Perhaps this is what the fifteen essays together point towards:
Shame isolates the person and turns her into the object of an inner and outer gaze.
Recognition does not give the person dignity, but meets the dignity that is already there.
Care brings the body back into the room.
The voice gives experience form.
The boundary makes relationship possible.
Joy opens the future.
And participation allows the person to emerge as more than what was done to her.
Not without wounds.
Not without fear.
Not without a past.
But as a person who can once again say:
I am not only the one who survived.
I am also someone who lives here.
Together with others.
And I have a place in the world.
I am not only the one who survived.
I am also someone who lives here.
Together with others.
And I have a place in the world.
This essay was developed through a new reading of the focus-group discussions and in-depth interviews that formed the foundation of my doctoral dissertation, A Study of Shame (2009). The text is part of the series Conversations About Shame and was written in conversation with OpenAI/ChatGPT.
No comments:
Post a Comment