When Praise Slides Off
On Recognition, the Inertia of Self-Image, and Experiences That Need Time to Sink In
“You are brave.”
“You are strong.”
“You are a good person.”
The words are spoken warmly. They are sincere. The person saying them means what they say.
Even so, they do not reach the person.
The recipient may smile politely. Say thank you. Change the subject. Inside, she thinks:
You are only saying that because you are trying to help.
You do not really know me.
If you knew everything, you would not say it.
In this way, recognition may slide off.
In the conversations that formed the foundation of my doctoral dissertation, A Study of Shame, one of the helpers described how positive judgements often failed to take hold in people who carried deep shame. She could see a person with courage, care, humour, and endurance. The person herself saw something entirely different.
The praise was given.
But it struck a surface that could not receive it.
This does not necessarily mean that the words were wrong.
It means that the self-image had been built through other and more powerful experiences.
Shame Is Older Than Praise
A person’s view of themselves is not created by a single sentence.
It develops through repeated encounters.
Gazes.
Touch.
Comments.
Silence.
Rejection.
Care.
What a child is repeatedly treated as may gradually become what the child experiences itself to be.
If the child is violated, overlooked, or made responsible for what adults do, a fundamental understanding may take hold:
I am not worth protecting.
There is something wrong with me.
My boundaries do not matter.
I am a burden.
I am unclean.
Such beliefs do not arise only as thoughts. They become lived experience.
They settle into the way the body enters a room.
Into the lowered gaze.
Into the fear of making mistakes.
Into the need to explain oneself.
Into the expectation that others will leave.
When a helper many years later says, “You are valuable,” the sentence does not enter an empty space.
It meets an entire life of experiences saying otherwise.
Shame is often older than praise.
And the oldest language has a weight of its own.
“You Must Learn to Love Yourself”
This advice is often given.
It is kindly meant.
But it can feel like yet another task the person is failing to accomplish.
Now I must also manage to love myself.
I, who do not even understand why others can bear being with me.
When self-worth is low, demands for self-love may increase the distance. The person compares herself with an ideal of inner security and experiences yet another deficiency.
I ought to be more grateful.
I ought to believe what they say.
I ought to see my good qualities.
But shame is rarely resolved through an instruction to think differently.
A person cannot order themselves to trust an experience they have not yet had.
Perhaps the work must begin somewhere else.
Not with love.
But with less hostility.
Not:
I am a wonderful person.
But:
Perhaps I do not have to judge myself every single moment.
Not:
I love my body.
But:
I can refrain from punishing it today.
Not:
I am valuable.
But:
Perhaps it is not certain that I am worthless.
The small opening may be more real than the grand declaration.
When Praise Feels Suspicious
A compliment may awaken unease.
What do you want?
Why are you saying this now?
Are you trying to make me tell you more?
Will you use it against me later?
For people who have experienced manipulative closeness, kindness is not always only kindness.
Attention may once have been the entrance to something dangerous.
Gifts may have created obligation.
Praise may have been used to make the child compliant:
You are so special.
You are much more mature than other children.
You understand me better than adults do.
Good words can therefore become associated with danger.
When a new person offers praise, the body may react before the mind has time to assess the new situation.
The words say:
I see something good in you.
Experience replies:
Be careful. This may cost you something.
Rejecting praise is therefore not necessarily ingratitude.
It may be self-protection.
The Compliment Creates Distance
Praise often places one person in the position of judging and the other in the position of being judged.
I look at you and declare that you are brave.
You receive my verdict.
Even when the judgement is positive, this position may be difficult.
A person who is already highly preoccupied with the gaze of others may become even more self-conscious.
Am I really brave now?
Will I disappoint her next time?
What happens when she sees that I am not strong?
The compliment becomes an ideal that must be maintained.
“You are so strong” may be heard as:
You must not fall apart.
“You are so brave” may mean:
You must continue telling.
“You have come so far” may sound like:
You must not go backwards.
The positive description becomes a role.
And the role can make it difficult to reveal whatever does not fit.
Being Seen Without Being Elevated
Recognition does not always need to take the form of praise.
It may be more grounded.
I can see how much this cost you.
I noticed that you spoke up when it became too difficult.
You came back even though you were afraid.
You are trying to understand something that was without words for a long time.
Such statements do not judge the whole person.
They describe a concrete action or experience.
This makes them easier to test against reality.
The person does not need to believe that she “is strong” as a permanent quality. She can notice that she did something difficult on this particular day.
Perhaps the self-image can be built from below.
Not through grand words about who she is, but through small experiences of what she actually does.
I set a boundary.
I asked for help.
I left the room before it became too much.
I came back.
I allowed my body to rest.
In this way, recognition can take concrete form.
The Person Who Praises Has Power
Praise appears innocent, but it always involves a form of evaluation.
One person has the authority to say:
This part of you is good.
In many relationships, this is entirely unproblematic. But in helping relationships, there is a difference in power.
The helper evaluates progress.
Cooperation.
Motivation.
Insight.
Coping.
The survivor may therefore become alert to what is rewarded.
The helper likes it when I open up.
She praises me when I put feelings into words.
She is pleased when I challenge my need for control.
The person may then begin to perform recovery.
She says what she thinks the helper wants to hear.
She displays the right kind of vulnerability.
She accepts the praise because it preserves the relationship.
But inwardly, she remains alone.
Recognition becomes a new demand for adaptation.
The helper must therefore ask herself:
Am I praising the person in order to support her freedom?
Or am I rewarding her for moving in the direction I prefer?
“You Are a Survivor”
This word can be important.
It shifts attention from passivity to endurance.
The person was not only subjected to something.
She continued to live.
But “survivor” can also become a constricting identity.
A survivor is expected to be strong.
To rise again.
To find meaning.
To turn the experience into something good.
What about the person who is tired?
Who does not feel inspiring?
Who still struggles with ordinary days?
The person may experience that even suffering must be transformed into an achievement.
I should have grown more.
I should have become wiser.
I should use my history to help others.
But a person owes no one a beautiful story about their own suffering.
They have the right to have survived without turning survival into an identity or a mission.
Recognition must therefore allow the person not always to feel strong.
You survived.
And you are also allowed to be tired.
When Kind Words Feel Untrue
It is tempting to respond to a negative self-image with opposite words.
I am ugly.
No, you are beautiful.
I am weak.
No, you are strong.
I am broken.
No, you are whole.
But when the distance between the person’s experience and the helper’s statement becomes too great, the response may feel like denial.
You are not hearing what I am saying.
You are only trying to make me feel better.
The survivor does not always need to be contradicted.
Sometimes she needs to be understood.
When you say that you feel broken, what does that mean?
Where do you feel it?
When does this experience become strongest?
What do you think others see?
Only when the experience has been given its full weight can another perspective be offered without sounding like a correction.
Not:
You are not broken.
But:
I hear that this is how you experience yourself. At the same time, I see that you are living, thinking, caring, and trying. Perhaps “broken” does not contain the whole of you.
The small qualification may be more believable than the grand denial.
Recognition That Does Not Demand Acceptance
Some helpers become disappointed when kind words are rejected.
But I really mean it.
Why can she not receive it?
Yet if recognition is given with a demand that it be accepted, it becomes a new burden.
The person must not only carry the shame.
She must also protect the helper from feeling unsuccessful.
Perhaps kind words need to be offered without expectation.
You do not have to believe this now.
You do not have to respond.
I am saying it because this is how I see you.
Then the words may be allowed to remain.
Perhaps they are rejected.
Perhaps forgotten.
Perhaps remembered much later.
Recognition has not failed simply because it does not create immediate change.
Some words need time before they find a place to land.
Experience Must Come Before Language
A person does not primarily learn that they are valuable by hearing the word valuable.
They learn it through the way they are treated.
When the appointment is kept.
When a no is respected.
When the helper does not withdraw after a difficult disclosure.
When the person is allowed to remain silent without being punished.
When a mistake does not lead to humiliation.
When a setback does not make the relationship colder.
This is recognition in practical form.
It says:
You have value even when you do not perform.
Your boundary matters even when I want something else.
You are welcome even when you are not making progress.
I can bear your disagreement with me.
After many such experiences, the words may begin to make sense.
First, the person is treated as valuable.
Later, perhaps she can begin to believe that she is.
The Slow Contradiction
Shame has often been established through repetition.
One violation.
Then secrecy.
Then lack of protection.
Then self-accusation.
Then relationships in which boundaries were still not heard.
It is therefore unreasonable to expect one good conversation to undo all of this.
The new self-image also needs repetition.
Not a mechanical stream of positive statements.
But experiences that contradict shame’s logic.
I showed weakness, and I was not abandoned.
I said no, and the other person stopped.
I made a mistake, and I was still welcome.
I told something, and the story was not passed on.
I had a bad period, and the relationship continued.
Each experience is small.
But together, they may create another pattern.
Shame says:
When they see you, they leave.
Experience replies:
This time, she stayed.
When Recognition Comes from the Wrong Person
Not all praise carries the same weight.
A kind word from a stranger may slide off.
The same word from someone one respects may reach deeper.
But this too may be complicated.
Recognition from a partner may be dismissed:
You say it because you love me.
From a therapist:
You say it because it is your job.
From a friend:
You do not know the whole story.
From a group of people with similar experiences, the words may sometimes carry a different weight:
They know something about this from within.
They have seen the reactions I am ashamed of.
And they still experience me as someone they want to be with.
Recognition may become more believable through shared experience.
Not because people with similar histories always understand one another perfectly, but because shame loses some of its uniqueness.
I am not the only one.
And the others are not what I have imagined myself to be.
Giving Others What One Cannot Give Oneself
In the conversations, participants could often meet one another with greater gentleness than they offered themselves.
The other person was not guilty.
The other person was not unclean.
The other person had done the best she could.
When the same statements were directed towards themselves, they lost their force.
This reveals a strange asymmetry.
I can see you as human.
I see myself as the exception.
Shame says:
What applies to others does not apply to you.
But this very difference may become a place for reflection.
What makes you judge her differently?
Why is her adaptation a survival strategy, while yours is weakness?
Why is her body innocent, while yours is dirty?
These questions should not be used to win an argument.
But they may make the logic of shame visible.
If humanity applies to everyone else, what makes me the single exception?
Self-Compassion as a Foreign Language
The concept of self-compassion may sound gentle and good.
To the ashamed person, it may feel foreign, artificial, or even provocative.
Why should I be kind to myself?
What have I done to deserve it?
Self-punishment may feel morally right.
If I let go of the accusation, perhaps I am minimising what happened.
If I stop punishing my body, perhaps it means the acts were acceptable.
But self-compassion does not acquit the perpetrator.
It corrects who was punished.
Perhaps it can begin without feeling.
As a practice.
Today, I will not speak to myself in a way I would never speak to a child.
Today, my body will receive food even if I do not like it.
Today, I will rest before everything is finished.
The action may come before the conviction.
One does not need to feel warmth in order to act less brutally.
When Words Must Be Borrowed
Sometimes the person does not yet have her own words for a less shameful self-image.
Then she may borrow the words of others.
The helper says:
You were a child.
The responsibility belonged to the adult.
The body’s response was not consent.
What you did must be understood as survival.
The person may not fully believe this.
But she may repeat the sentences.
Not as a confession of faith.
As a possible formulation.
Perhaps I can say it this way, even though it does not yet feel true.
In this way, a new language may exist before it has become a new experience.
Over time, the words and the experiences may move closer together.
Praise or Testimony?
There is a difference between praising and bearing witness.
Praise says:
I judge you to be brave.
Testimony says:
I was present when you did something difficult.
I saw that you were afraid and still came.
I heard your voice tremble when you set the boundary.
Testimony is rooted in something that happened between us.
It is harder to dismiss as empty politeness.
The other person does not merely say something kind.
She carries a memory of the person’s action.
This may be especially important for people who have doubted their own reality.
Someone saw.
Someone remembers.
It really happened.
Recognition becomes more than an adjective.
It becomes a shared trace of experience.
When Cocoa Is Better Than Praise
A person who has just disclosed something difficult does not always need kind words.
Perhaps “you are so brave” is too much.
Perhaps it makes the moment solemn in a way the person cannot bear.
Sometimes it is better to make cocoa.
Find a blanket.
Open the window.
Talk a little about the weather.
Walk the person to the bus.
Practical care may say more than praise:
You are still a human being in an ordinary world.
What you told me has not made you strange.
We can still sit here together afterwards.
Everyday life continues.
Recognition does not always need to be spoken.
It may be present in the cup placed on the table.
In the chair that is not moved away.
In the tone of voice that remains the same.
When Praise Finally Sinks In
It may take a long time.
A person may hear the same kind words many times without believing them.
Then something small may happen.
She makes a mistake and is not rejected.
She tells something shameful, and the other person remains.
She sets a boundary, and the relationship survives it.
Suddenly, she remembers an old sentence:
You do not have to be perfect to be welcome here.
This time, the words meet an experience that makes them possible.
They are no longer only the helper’s assertion.
They have acquired a point of support in life.
In this way, praise may sink in backwards.
Not because it was repeated loudly enough.
But because reality began to resemble it.
Recognition Without a New Ideal
The goal is not to replace a negative self-image with a radiant and unchanging positive one.
The positive ideal can also become a prison.
I must be strong.
Brave.
Wise.
Whole.
Grateful.
But human beings change.
They can be generous and irritated.
Brave and afraid.
Clear and confused.
Strong and in need of help.
A more sustainable relationship with oneself can hold this complexity.
I do not have to be good in every way in order to have value.
I do not have to like everything about myself in order to treat myself with respect.
I do not have to feel whole in order to belong.
Recognition then becomes not an elevation.
It becomes permission to be an ordinary, complex human being.
Believing Experience a Little More Than Shame
Shame may not disappear.
It may still whisper:
They will discover you.
You do not deserve this.
The kind words are not true.
But beside shame, another kind of knowledge may grow.
She came back.
He kept what I told him confidential.
The group laughed with me, not at me.
I said no and was still liked.
I was weak and was not abandoned.
Perhaps the person does not first need to believe that she is valuable.
Perhaps she can begin by believing these experiences a little more than shame’s old prediction.
This is a quieter form of change.
But perhaps also a more lasting one.
A Sentence for the Person Who Cannot Receive
Perhaps the person who lets praise slide off needs to hear:
You do not have to believe my kind words immediately.
You do not have to thank me in the right way.
You do not need to feel strong because I see strength in something you did.
I will not use praise to demand more from you.
I am simply saying what I see.
And I remain here on the days when you do not recognise yourself in it.
When Recognition Becomes One’s Own
Eventually, the person may perhaps say something kind about herself without it feeling like a lie.
Not grand words.
Only precise ones.
I got through this day.
I set a boundary.
I treated my body a little better.
I asked for help before it was too late.
I did something difficult.
This is not self-glorification.
It is a fairer testimony about one’s own life.
The inner voice does not need to become enthusiastic.
It is enough that it becomes less brutal.
From Praise to Recognition
Praise slides off when it finds nothing in experience that can receive it.
What is needed, therefore, is not always more or stronger compliments.
What is needed are relationships in which the words become true through action.
Where the person is treated as valuable before she believes that she is.
Where she may set boundaries without losing belonging.
Where she may fail without being humiliated.
Where the helper sees her again, even after the most shameful thing has been said.
Then recognition may slowly change form.
From something the other person places upon her from the outside,
to something she begins to recognise in her own life.
Perhaps she does not say:
I am brave.
Perhaps she says only:
I thought I would run away, but I stayed.
That may be enough.
Shame was not defeated by a beautiful word.
But in time, the word was accompanied by an experience.
And this time, it did not slide off completely.
I thought I would run away, but I stayed.
This essay was developed through a new reading of the focus-group discussions and in-depth interviews that formed the foundation of my doctoral dissertation, A Study of Shame (2009). The text is part of the series Conversations About Shame and was written in conversation with OpenAI/ChatGPT.
No comments:
Post a Comment