Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas 2012

What a joyful day, Christmas Eve. During my upbringing in the States, Christmas Day was the Big Day for families and especially children. Early in the morning on Christmas Day, families gathered round the Christmas tree and presents were opened. This seremony is done during the evening on Christmas Eve here in Norway as in most countries in Europe.

What I have taken with me from the States in our family tradition with turkey dinner, stuffing, mashed potatoes. And I'm the cook today. The turkey was made ready for the oven yesterday. 8.5 kg (18.7 Ibs) is the largest turkey we could find at the local store. The bigger the turkey the better is what my father always said. I remember one year as a child in the States my father said that the turkey we had was so big that it's head was outside the stovedoor during while it was in the oven. And I of course believe him. Everything is big in the States.

I'll put the turkey in the oven today around 10AM and let stay ther for around five hours. After that I'll let it rest for another two hours before serving it. The traditional stuffing I make is with bread, fried onions, mushrooms, bacon, lemon, parsley, celery, milk, butter, eggs, and a special seasoning mix I get from my aunt Unni every year from the States. Brussels sprouts, carrots, and mashed potatoes are a must. We'll be eating all this wounderful food this evening. And after dinner, CHRISTMAS PRESENTS WITH SANTA!

My son Eirik came home from Oslo yesterday and will be with us this Christmas. My daugther Kristine and her husband Steen are coming here later today togehter with our grandchildren Leo and Herman. They'll be staying till tomorrow. The greatest present of all is having ones family gathered togehter for Christmas. My other daughter, Anette and her husband Tom and our other two grandchildren Stella and Nora, are in Bergen this Christmas with Tom's family. Miss them, but I'm sure their going to have a great time in Bergen. 

It's still early Christmas Eve morning here in Sandefjord, Norway. A cup of coffe, a quiet house, and lots of snow outside. Thoughts go to why we celebrate Cristmas, and I am greatful. 

To all my followers and friends here on my blog, I wish you all a Merry Merry Christmas. 
 
Kaare

My parents. Torgny and Ulla, in a winter Wonderland in Evje, Norway, 1973. Thanks for fantastic memories.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment